Co-founder at Cyanapse
I am a computational neuroscientist interested in studying how neurons wire together to interpret sensory signals, how they change their wiring through learning, how this organisation can be revealed by investigating spatiotemporal activity patterns and how their behaviour can be mimicked by the machines. In order to study realistic scenarios, I also worked on development of tools for simulation of large scale brain models on GPUs and analysis of high dimensional data.
Currently I am working as Director and Chief Scientist at Cyanapse, a data science company that I have co-founded. I have been mainly doing R&D with a focus on development of algorithms and pipelines for real-time feature extraction and manipulation of spatio-temporal data.
Previously I worked at the University of Sussex as a postdoctoral fellow on the Green Brain Project with Prof. Thomas Nowotny. My role in the project involved computational modelling of honeybee olfactory pathways related to reinforcement learning and decision making, and interaction of this model with the world using chemosensors. I have also been a developer of the GeNN simulation environment.
- Esin Yavuz, Thomas Nowotny: Input-modulation as an alternative to conventional learning strategies. ICANN 2016 DOI:10.1007/978-3-319-44778-0_7
Esin Yavuz, James Turner, Thomas Nowotny: GeNN: a code generation framework for accelerated brain simulations. Scientific Reports 01/2016; 6:18854. DOI:10.1038/srep18854
Thomas Nowotny, James Turner, Esin Yavuz: More flexibility for code generation with GeNN v2.1. BMC Neuroscience 12/2015; 16(Suppl 1):P291. DOI:10.1186/1471-2202-16-S1-P291
Esin Yavuz, Pascale Maul, Thomas Nowotny: Spiking neural network model of reinforcement learning in the honeybee implemented on the GPU. BMC Neuroscience 01/2015; 16(Suppl 1):P181. DOI:10.1186/1471-2202-16-S1-P181
Esin Yavuz, James Turner, Thomas Nowotny: Simulating spiking neural networks on massively parallel graphical processing units using a code generation approach with GeNN. BMC Neuroscience 07/2014; 15(Suppl 1):O1-O1. DOI:10.1186/1471-2202-15-S1-O1
Thomas Nowotny, Alexander J Cope, Esin Yavuz, Marcel Stimberg, Dan FM Goodman, James Marshall, Kevin Gurney: SpineML and Brian 2.0 interfaces for using GPU enhanced Neuronal Networks (GeNN). BMC Neuroscience 07/2014; 15(Suppl 1):P148. DOI:10.1186/1471-2202-15-S1-P148
Esin Yavuz, Thomas Nowotny: A modelling framework for the olfactory system of the honeybee using GeNN (GPU enhanced Neuronal Network simulation environment). Flavour 04/2014; 3(Suppl 1):P23. DOI:10.1186/2044-7248-3-S1-P23
Alex Cope, Chelsea Sabo, Esin Yavuz, Kevin Gurney, James Marshal, Thomas Nowotny, Eleni Vasilaki: The Green Brain Project–Developing a Neuromimetic Robotic Honeybee. Biomimetic and Biohybrid Systems 2013 Jan 1 (pp. 362-363). Springer Berlin Heidelberg.
- Esin Yavuz: Source separation analysis of visual cortical dynamics revealed by voltage sensitive dye imaging. PhD Thesis 2012; UPMC
Sensory coding in the brain; Deep learning; Neural networks; Bio-inspired computing; Brain dynamics; Signal processing; Parallel computing; Data analysis and visualisation; Statistical source separation; Machine learning; Complex systems
- 10/2016 – Present : Co-Founder, Chief Scientist – Cyanapse
- 10/2016 – Present : Associate Faculty – University of Sussex (United Kingdom).
- 03/2013 – 10/2016: Post-Doctoral Research Fellow, Green Brain Project – University of Sussex (United Kingdom). Modelling of honeybee olfactory system on a GPU, focusing on the neurobiological substrates responsible for multimodal reinforcement learning and decision making. The model will be used to control a flying robot equipped with chemosensors and cameras. Supervisor: Prof. Thomas Nowotny.
- 2008 – 2012: PhD in Neuroscience – University of Paris VI (UPMC). Source separation analysis of visual cortical dynamics revealed by voltage sensitive dye imaging. Supervisors: Prof. Yves Frégnac, Dr. Cyril Monier. Host lab: Unit of Neuroscience Information and Complexity (UNIC), CNRS UPR3293, (Gif-sur-Yvette, France).
- 2006 – 2008: MSc in Biomedical Engineering – Boğaziçi University (Istanbul), Institute of Biomedical Engineering.
- 2001 – 2006: BSc in Computer Engineering – Galatasaray University (Istanbul).